Wednesday, March 18, 2009

All Good Things


My time in California, as a guest of the Stanford Institute of Theoretical Physics, is drawing to a close. Well, ok---I wasn't really a guest of the SITP, my boss was. I was more or less just along for the ride. Nevertheless, it was a wonderful few months.

I remember when my boss told me he was going to be spending six months on Sabbatical at Stanford. My first thought was this, exactly: "When I applied to Stanford, they couldn't reject my application fast enough. Now they have to take me."

This is me and the very famous Savas Dimopoulos. He is so famous that he has his own Wikipedia page. We shared a Greek salad once---he ate the peppers and cucumbers.

I spent six months doing physics, and exploring California, and enjoying myself immensely. I live in a 10 by 10 room, next to the train tracks, I share a bathroom with a Chinese girl, and my rent is $850 a month---but I wouldn't change any of this.

But as they say, all good things must end. I have enjoyed the benefits of being at a first class research institution, of interacting with first class people, and asking them stupid questions. I've made new friends, and hopefully I've made favorable impressions on them. I can say that, without a doubt, they've made favorable impressions on me. I will always remember Stanford for being a sunny place, partly because of the climate, but mostly because of the people.

I'm gonna miss you guys. A lot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We will miss you Ben. You are welcome any time

Jonathan

Anonymous said...

Benny Boy- if you are driving back, coming through CO (Denver) stop by, see Mike & I and our little ones (who look a lot like Mike). If for no other reason so you can get a good laugh and a steak or something like that! Let us know! - Julie-